Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Killed Cartoons: Casualties from the War on Free Expression

A pair of censored Ted Rall cartoons along with the backstory thereof appear in David Wallis' new anthology "Killed Cartoons". From the official website:

The collection, heralded by cartoonist Gahan Wilson of the New Yorker as "amazing in its range," includes spiked art about everything from the Iraq War to teen fashion trends. Works by renowned contemporary artists such as Garry Trudeau , Steve Brodner, Edward Sorel, Doug Marlette, Ted Rall, Paul Conrad, Matt Davies and Anita Kunz are displayed alongside unearthed gems by legends like David Low, Herblock and Norman Rockwell.

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to get this book, but why do I have the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of head scratching trying to figure out how an Editor found them too offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, okay -- now I guess I have to look up the word "renowned."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rall cartoons censored? Don't tell me,"9-11 Widows" was one of them. But I don't believe that a certain blond sksnk suffered any censorship when she expressed similar views in her column.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, longtime fan of Mr. Rall's work finally with a reason to post something here. :-)

    I'm glad this is coming out. For crying out loud, the whole *point* of editorial cartoons is to show a different perspective than what we're used to. I don't *need* a cartoon telling me terrorism is bad or the stock market is unpredictable or Paris Hilton isn't exactly Nobel Prize material...I KNOW THAT ALREADY, DAMMIT! If it shocks, stuns, disturbs, well, at least it's serving a purpose, right?

    That said, I still think it's better to have them in a compilation that'll be read by people who appreciate them. It's good to have a voice in the vanilla mainstream media, but some things just aren't worth the hassle. Mr. Rall should know this better than anybody.

    Anyway, always appreciate a good book. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. There *are* people who understand the purpose of editorial cartoons! How gratifying!

    Too bad so few of them edit newspapers...

    ReplyDelete