Saturday, November 29, 2003

Light at the End of the Tunnel



I'm almost done with my next book. I expect to turn it into the publisher in a little over a week. Galleys come out in January, then the book itself in March 2004.



Titled WAKE UP, YOU'RE LIBERAL, this is my most ambitious project to date. It's 100 percent prose, no cartoons whatsoever, and it's probably going to weigh in at about 250 to 300 pages.



A number of others have published Bush-bashing books in recent months (Michael Moore, Al Franken, Molly Ivins, Jim Hightower) but WAKE UP, YOU'RE LIBERAL isn't in the same vein as those. Long frustrated at the cartoon and column format because their limited space only allows you to look at one tiny aspect of one issue at a time, this book is my first attempt to present the direction I think the left should take to take back the country from the extreme right, obviously filtered through the lens of my personal political philosophy. (Liberals and conservatives will both be surprised, I think...some pleasantly, some not.)



I've relied on my experience working on political campaigns and conducted extensive research to formulate a cohesive platform, campaign methodology and constructive suggestions that I believe will allow liberals to regain their previous strength by appealing to neglected and alienated constituencies. It all starts from my belief that Americans believe in liberal values--they just don't know it.



Until a month ago, I wasn't sure that this project was going to turn out well, but now that it's nearly done I can't believe how excited I am. Will people buy it? I don't know...I never know these things in advance. Certainly people concerned about the direction of our country, those who wonder about the dangers of a system dominated by one political party and anyone looking for a "middle way" between PC liberalism and corporate conservatism will find WAKE UP interesting. I do know that I'm proud as hell to have written a cohesive summary of my political philosophy and that it nearly killed me.



I'll post advance ordering information here on the blog as well as on my website as soon as it becomes available. If you'd like me to add you to my mailing list for information about WAKE UP, YOU'RE LIBERAL or ATTITUDE 2: THE NEW SUBVERSIVE SOCIAL COMMENTARY CARTOONISTS, also due out in early 2004, please send me an e-mail.



If you or someone you know is a book reviewer or bookstore buyer, or someone interested in bringing me to their town to sign books and/or give a talk in the spring and summer of 2004, send me an e-mail and I'll put you on the list to receive a galley for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment