Wednesday, January 21, 2004

General Wesley Clark



FOR Rachel sends me the following:



I was wondering what your take on Gen. Wesley Clark is. True, he may or may not have supported the war (see http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/nation/7720762.htm), but many of the Democratic candidates did support the war. Dean's stance against the war makes him stand out but does not necessarily mean he will win against Bush. You mentioned that the Rev. Al Sharpton "won" after using Whack-A-Pol (he did for me, too).



The economy and national security will most likely be key issues this November. Bush will inevitably portray himself as a strong president when it comes to security. Of course, the AWOL Asshole will not have much of a chance to do this next to Clark.



I'm surprised I haven't seen any hint of your opinion on Clark. Back in August of 2003, your article "Love Me, I'm (Not Really) a Liberal" didn't endorse Dean; in fact, you described him as "opportunistic" and providing "strident vagaries that fuel (his supporters') self-delusion." Granted, these are general political tools, but in less than 6 months you endorsed him. I'm finding that many liberals get caught up in a popularity contest. Of course it's about beating Bush (without the help of Republican-in-sheep's clothing Lieberman). I was wondering if there was any other reason, besides big talk from the Dean camp, why you endorsed him?



Thanks for your time!




Great questions all. Let me take them one at a time.



1. I haven't discussed Clark because (a) I don't think he stands a chance of winning the Democratic nomination and (b) his decision to refuse to accept the vice-presidency negated him as a personality of interest for me. When he got into the race at the last minute (arguably, beyond the last minute) I assumed that he was running for the veep spot. Those stars would have made a big difference; a Dean-Clark ticket would have rocked. That said, he was a registered Republican until a month before he announced that he was running and there's a better choice for Dean's possible future veep (assuming he wins the nomination--I'm astonished that Iowa caucausers didn't see him as being the most electable of the bunch) in the form of Florida Senator Bob Graham.



2. Why did I endorse Dean? As I wrote way back in August, Dean isn't a liberal. He's pro-business, a deficit hawk (which I agree with, by the way), supported the war in Afghanistan, etc. Were I going to support a candidate whose positions I agreed with, I would have picked Sharpton or Kucinich. Neither man, however, stands a chance of winning the nomination. Dean, however, stood a chance and still does--I'm keeping my money on him. Had Joe Lieberman, whose positions nearly make him a Republican, had the best chance of kicking Bush's ass come November, I would have endorsed him.



This election is critical. Our economy is in fiscal freefall, we're bogged down in two unwinnable wars, we've pissed off our allies and our government has been hijacked by a cabal of roughly a dozen neofascist loons. What mainline Dems don't get, as proven by the wimpy Democratic response to Bush's State of the Union Address last night, is that they're not running against a normal Republican. This time it's for keeps. If Bush goes back for a second term, with a GOP Congress and Supreme Court, they'll be out of control.



This time we're playing for all the marbles. Losing isn't an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment