Friday, March 5, 2004

NY Times Censorship: Please Tell Them To Find a Spine



If the usual pattern prevails, the New York Times website can rest assured that their cowardly and lazy decision to drop my cartoons as the result of a concerted right-wing blogger email campaign will go unpunished. People will move on, other issues will rise to the surface, my readers will learn to find my cartoons here on my website or at The Washington Post.



The Times has the right to cancel cartoons or columns for taste reasons, even for politics. But they admit that they're responding directly to specific complaints of right-wing readers (probably non-readers, but whatever). Kowtowing to a special interest group sets a dangerous precedent. The only way they'll reverse course is if you let them know. Please keep the pressure on by emailing the following addresses:



Martin Nisenholtz, CEO of New York Times Digital



New York Times Letters to the Editor



Ombudsman Daniel Okrent



A reminder: I don't stand to earn a penny if the Times runs my cartoons again. They weren't paying me for them anyway. And I have never complained about being dropped before. This is solely about freedom of expression, and the Times' unique intersection of cowardice and laziness. The Times cartoon section has been censored, Soviet-style: even my archives, the last five years of cartoons that they specifically approved of, have been excised by the Stalinists at Times Digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment