Monday, March 1, 2004

Vote Kucinich Tomorrow, Kerry in November



When I go to the polls in New York tomorrow, I plan to send a message to the Democratic National Committee by flipping the knob (we have those old 1950s voting machines and I hope they never change them) for Dennis Kucinich. Now Dennis didn't do much to ingratiate himself to yours truly, even turning down my invitation to interview him for my column about as rudely as humanly possible, so I'm not losing much sleep over his failure to catch fire with the electorate. That said, he's the only liberal on the Democratic ballot. A significant vote for Kucinich will be interpreted by DNC honchos as a desire for a more liberal candidate in the fall, which might shove Kerry (pro-Iraq war, pro-NAFTA, pro-WTO, probably won't get rid of Bush's tax cuts) a little to the left.



With Kerry's nomination a foregone conclusion, let's do what we can to convince him to work harder to appeal to the Democratic wing of the Democratic party. Then, after we lose, let's work enthusiastically for Kerry to replace Bush. Then, if we win, we'll replace Kerry in 2008 with a real liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment