Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Rush Limbaugh for Idiots
posted by TheDon
Sorry, I think I left an "is" out of the post title...
Today, while I was drinking my lunch driving to lunch, I was channel-surfing in my Pruis when I landed on Limbaugh's daily assault on the senses. I stayed there because he was talking about my car and saying some incredible things. They were so bizzare and stupid that I assumed it was a parody, but it appears to be something he believes. He bases a lot of his story on "research" done by something called CNW Marketing Research.
The most bizzare claim is the cost per mile of driving a Prius vs driving a Hummer. Even if you accept the retarded unusual premise of their analysis (the Prius has a lifespan of 100,000 miles while the Hummer has 300,000 in it - just go with it for now), this seems too stupid for even the most credible mouth-breather:
The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles -- the expected lifespan of the Hybrid. The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles.
Ummmm.... really? You count on people not being able to do that math? $325,000 to operate the Prius over its lifespan? $585,000 for the Hummer? I guess so, since Limbaugh joyously says this:
The upshot of the story is that a Toyota Prius, a hybrid, whatever, it costs three times as much for one-third the driving time than a Hummer.
Let me see... 325 = 3*585... carry the one... I really don't get the appeal of this show, but then I did pass math class. And maybe I'm missing the entire point. He also went to a lot of trouble to tell the story of how environmentally destructive the production of the batteries is, read the refutation of that claim on the air, and then completely ignored the refutation. It's not a science show, is it?
UPDATE
After some more research on the claims made by CNW, they are supposedly calculating the total energy cost of the vehicle from conception to the end of its street life. This number includes tires and dent repair, but does NOT include gasoline costs, meaning the numbers are even more absurd than they appear initially. Somehow, a vehicle which used over $300,000 worth of energy during the manufacturing process was sold to me for $24,000, and I save a bunch of money on gas! Twofer! Thank you Toyota!

2 comments:

  1. Conservatives can't do math...math is fuzzy numbers, a conspiracy by the liberal elite to confuse their down home senses (a PC way of saying proudly thoughtless) with technobabble. The crazy thing about what they're saying is that it doesn't even have surface validity, but neither does what GW Bush said about how to fix social security and medicare (kill it now because if we don't we might have to shrink it in a few decades).

    These people still can't figure out if it was right or wrong to launch an illegal war.

    ReplyDelete